Beginning immediately and effective until March 31st, 2021, the federal government recognizes all post-secondary institutions, nationwide, as the employer of record when offering meaningful placements to students under the Student Work Placement Program. This pivotal shift enables Canadian universities, colleges, and polytechnics to receive wage subsidies for students hired. Frankly, at any time, let alone in times like these, it’s very exciting news. Here’s why.
- up to $5,000 for every qualified student hired
- up to $7,000 for every qualified student hired from an underrepresented group (women in STEM, persons with disabilities, newcomers, and indigenous students)
Recognition as an employer of record empowers you to grow your team, further unite your campus, and continue to take care of post-secondary students with ease.
- employers with fewer than 500 employees (and non-profit organizations) can advance wage subsidies to support operational cash flow
- start dates and the duration of placements are flexible to avoid the rescinding of any offers
- students can now work remotely for their placements
- you can apply for funding even before finalizing students hired for placements
Student work placements are accessible to nearly all domestic Canadian post-secondary students (international students are not eligible). According to Employment and Social Development Canada, to participate students must only:
- be registered in a post-secondary program that includes work placements or course with a work-integrated learning component
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person with refugee protection given under the law and,
- be legally able to work in Canada according to the laws and regulations of the province or territory where the student lives
Our country, campuses, and peers have taken extreme precautions and measures to ensure one another’s well-being. Now we are adopting new workflows and incorporating fresh approaches to sustain these efforts. This new SWPP eligibility criterion reflects a rooted belief that tomorrow needs leaders today and every leader is worth investing in – now, more than ever.
Questions about accessing Student Work Placement funding or any of this information? Connect with Natalie Nitsopoulos, email@example.com